Say you’re hosting the perfect New Year’s Eve party with all your best friends, including your dog. While the champagne was only intended for human attendees, your dog accidentally drank alcohol. What do you do if your dog gets a sip (or a full glass) of one of your celebratory drinks?
Can dogs drink beer? What about wine? If you’re wondering if alcohol is bad for dogs, you’ve come to the right place. Beer, wine, and other alcohols are toxic to dogs and can cause an upset stomach, seizures, difficulty breathing, and more.1 Let’s take a deeper look at what happens if a dog drinks alcohol and how to treat your pup.
If your dog gets a few sips of wine, beer, or spirits, the first thing you should do is call your vet or the pet poison helpline. If you have a MetLife Pet Insurance policy, you may also have access to our 24/7 online vet chat through the MetLife Pet app.
Tell the vet how much your dog weighs, what kind of alcoholic drink they got into, and how much they drank. Pay special attention to any chocolate liqueurs or artificial sweeteners in the drink, since both are also toxic to dogs. Then, describe any symptoms your dog is having so the vet can gauge the severity of the poisoning. They may tell you to monitor your pup or, in more severe cases, bring them to an emergency vet. Either way, follow their instructions.
Taking your dog to an emergency vet can be scary, but it’s likely the best way to protect them. Vets are here to help! There are a few dog alcohol poisoning treatments your vet may recommend. They may induce vomiting to clear the toxin from your dog or put them on intravenous fluids to replenish them. Intubation may also be necessary depending on your dog’s symptoms.1