There is nothing better than a wagging tail, a gleeful meow, or a jingling collar to greet you at the end of a long day. Pet owners know that no one is happier to see you return each day than your four-legged family members. So, why not show your pets just how much they mean to you during this year’s Pet Appreciation Week.
Pet Appreciation Week, also known as PAW, is always celebrated the first full week in June. This year the holiday takes place June 1st through June 7th.
PAW was created by the American Veterinary Medical Association in 1981 for two primary purposes:
- To create awareness of the importance of our pets in our lives.
- To appreciate our pets for everything they do to enrich our lives.
We should pause often and remember that we are our pets’ whole world. There is nothing they love more than spending time with their special people. This week is the perfect opportunity to show our furry friends how much we appreciate, honor, and respect them.
If you are looking for ways to celebrate this week, we have put together some important and fun ideas:
- Teach your dog a new trick. If you have a puppy, consider signing up for some basic training or puppy socialization classes. Socialization is one of the most important things you can do for your dog. Dogs who are socialized grow up to be happier and more confident in a variety of situations. If you are not into tricks, it never hurts to brush up on the basic commands. Grab some treats and give your dog a refresher course!
- Extend your normal exercise time. Show how much you appreciate your pet by extending your regular walk or playtime. It will mean the world to your furry friend, and the extra exercise will improve both your health, giving you more time to spend together.
- Make sure the doggie cookie jar is full. Better yet, learn to bake homemade dog treats. You can make healthy treats at home and cook your pup’s favorite flavors into the home-cooked goodies.
- Surprise your dog or cat with a new toy. If your pooch happens to be out with you, take him shopping and let him pick out his own toy. You can also order a special toy for your furry friend online. Consider spending some extra playtime together once you give your pet their new toy.
- Play your pet some tunes. Play your canine or feline companion some music made especially for cats or dogs.
- Make sure your pet’s information is up-to-date. If your pet has a microchip, now is an excellent time to check and make sure your information is current in the microchip database. Make sure your pet is registered in the town where you live, and that the information on your pet’s tags is current.
- Consider microchipping your pet. June is National Microchipping Month. If your pet is not microchipped, take this time to research and consider getting your furry friends microchipped. A microchip can significantly increase the chances that your pet will be returned to you if he or she should become lost.
- Make an appointment with your vet for a regular checkup. As much as pets hate going to the vet, your fur friend will thank you in the long run. Pay extra attention to your pet’s health this week. Make sure all vaccinations are up-to-date and have your veterinarian do a routine check to make sure your pet is healthy.
- Consider getting Pet Insurance. At some point in a pet’s life, chances are he or she may become sick or injured. Pet insurance can help.
MetLife1 wants to wish you and your furry friends a happy Pet Appreciation Week. Regardless of how you and your pets celebrate, we hope you and your furry friends take this time to celebrate together throughout this appreciation week.