As pet owners, we want to make sure we’re keeping our furry friends as happy and healthy as possible — even if that means chasing them around the house to make sure they take their medications.
Ivermectin, a heartworm preventative, is one of the most common medications for keeping our pups healthy. Let’s dive a bit deeper into what ivermectin is and how it works.
Ivermectin is a veterinary drug most commonly used to prevent heartworm in dogs and cats. However, it’s also often used to treat a variety of internal and external parasites.
While ivermectin is mainly used to treat and prevent heartworm, it can also be used “extra-label” to take care of a number of parasites, including:
- Ear mites
This type of extra-label use must be prescribed by a veterinarian, as outlined by the FDA.1
It can be difficult to give our pets medicine at times. Luckily, ivermectin comes in a variety of forms, so you can find an option that works best for you and your dog. Ivermectin can be administered as a tablet, chewable, topical liquid or paste, or an injection (this option must be done by a qualified veterinarian).2
While ivermectin can be given with or without food, if your dog gets sick afterward, your vet may advise that you give the medicine with a treat or food. If they continue to get sick, you may want to contact your vet, as they could be having a reaction to the medication.
Regardless of the form of ivermectin you choose, this drug should only be given to your pets under the guidance of your veterinarian and should be monitored closely after it’s been given.4
If you give your dog ivermectin, make sure to follow the dosage instructions outlined by your veterinarian. The general rule of thumb for ivermectin dosage is 0.0015 – 0.003 mg per pound each month for heartworm prevention. For external parasite treatment, you typically administer 0.15 mg per pound for two weeks and, for internal parasites, 0.1 mg per pound one time.3
For the most part, ivermectin is well-tolerated by dogs; however, some pets can be sensitive to higher doses. Additionally, some dog breeds have a genetic mutation, called MDR1, that makes them particularly sensitive to ivermectin, making them more likely to show signs of toxicity.4
Symptoms of ivermectin toxicity in dogs can be acute or mild. Acute symptoms typically show up within 4 – 12 hours of ingesting the drug, while mild symptoms can show up in 2 – 3 days following ingestion.5 Symptoms of toxicity in dogs can include:
If you notice any of these symptoms from your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately.
As mentioned above, a number of dog breeds are extra sensitive to ivermectin. This sensitivity is most common in:
- Longhaired whippets
- Silken windhounds
- Skye terrier
Typically, the suggested doses for heartworm prevention are safe for these breeds, but it’s important to consult your veterinarian before giving your dog ivermectin.5
Ivermectin is a common drug used to treat and prevent heartworm in dogs and cats, as well as internal and external parasites. While it’s generally safe for pets, there are certain dog breeds that can be sensitive to the medication. Regardless of your pet’s breed, ivermectin should only be given under the direction and supervision of your vet. A dog insurance policy can help cover the cost of ivermectin and other medications.6 Get a free quote today.